funsec mailing list archives

Re: Federal agents' visit was a hoax

From: Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 18:13:56 -0600

--On December 29, 2005 6:47:20 PM -0500 Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 15:23:21 PST, Anthony Rodgers said:
I think it's the reputations of the media agencies that ran with the
story that should suffer.....

.... assuming, of course, that they had any to start with....

The sad part is that the only reason the story had any legs at all
because we believed it to be plausible behavior on the government's part.

It's not sad at all. It's the inevitable result of repeatedly lying about what the government is doing. The best example is the claim that they spy on libraries, which is what this man was taking advantage of. There's not a single word in the Patriot Act about libraries, but that doesn't stop its opponents from repeating the canard or the press from credulously repeating the canard.

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member