funsec mailing list archives

Re: Nordea Sweden shuts Internet banking due to targeted phishing

From: Florian Weimer <fw () deneb enyo de>
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 12:11:29 +0200

* Dan Kaminsky:

As I've been saying, it is an open question whether we'll be able to do
online banking in 18 months.

Tick tock.

Offline banking is so expensive for the banks that there has to be
quite an explosion of fraud until it's economically competitive. 8-/
Some banks even lack physical branch offices.

Phone banking isn't significantly more secure than Internet banking.
You might have to send real letters to your victims to notify them of
a phone number change, which comes at a certain cost, but I don't
think anyone is prepared for that.