funsec mailing list archives

Re: UltraDNS: Internet Security Shield?

From: Jordan Wiens <numatrix () ufl edu>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 10:44:33 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005, Fergie (Paul Ferguson) wrote:

I'd be curious to hear your opinions on this:

http://www.ultradns.com/about_us/dns_shield.cfm

Seems a little bit disingenous to say:

"In the event of a DDoS attack on the public Internet or other network failure, DNS Shield partner customers' queries are isolated from the effects and continue to be resolved locally ensuring domains powered by UltraDNS are 100% accessible."

Sure, the IP may be resolvable, but in the event of a network failure or a ddos on the public internet, it doesn't matter if you can resolve the domain, it's still likely to be unreachable.

Certainly an interesting idea though.

I wonder how their propogation method of instant updates would scale though if you were to try to run even half the domains handled by the current root servers. It's not the total number of domains that I imagine would be the problem, but the associated 'live changes' that go with it. My guess is not so well.

--
Jordan Wiens, CISSP
UF Network Security Engineer