funsec mailing list archives

Re: UltraDNS: Internet Security Shield?

From: John Payne <john () sackheads org>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 13:02:54 -0400

On Oct 19, 2005, at 10:53 AM, Jordan Wiens wrote:

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005, John Payne wrote:

On Oct 18, 2005, at 10:44 AM, Jordan Wiens wrote:

Sure, the IP may be resolvable, but in the event of a network failure or a ddos on the public internet, it doesn't matter if you can resolve the domain, it's still likely to be unreachable.

I think you're looking to overstate the problem that this is trying to solve. There's a very specific problem-set and this is a very specific solution to that.

That's why I quoted their summary -- they appear to make that claim:

"In the event of a DDoS attack on the public Internet or other network failure, DNS Shield partner customers' queries are isolated from the effects and continue to be resolved locally ensuring domains powered by UltraDNS are 100% accessible."

My point is that those domains are not necessarily 100% accessible. They may be 100% resolvable, but it's not the same thing.

I disagree. A domain being accessible means that it resolves. Server accessibility or domain usefulness is different :p

When a newspaper reporter reads that and writes up a story, do you think it's going to say that UltraDNS protects the ability of a domain to be resolved, but not necessarily access to the server that's resolved? Or do you think it's going to say that it "protects servers against DDoS attacks"?

Well, thats why marketing writeup press releases not tech folk. Publicity is publicity is publicity