funsec mailing list archives

Re: Sony, Rootkits and Digital Rights Management Gone Too Far

From: Jim Murray <jim () digitaldaemons co uk>
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 23:10:24 +0000

Florian Weimer wrote:

The really interesting question is if you can legally publish software
which removes such rootkits.  Even detection is a tricky subject.

Why not? If they can publish software that installs the stuff, why
shouldn't someone publish software that uninstalls it?

If their DRM scheme is properly constructed removing the DRM will
prevent playback of the protected material, thus eliminating any claim
that you're trying to bypass the DRM system. If that isn't the case it
can't really be considered DRM and removing it shouldn't be an issue!

Any other interpretation seems to effectively give any 'rights holder'
permission to install software on your system which you are then not
permitted to remove - I'm no lawyer but I'd hope any sensible court
would have sense enough to rule that unfairly biased and unenforceable.

If we follow this path to it's ultimate conclusion - does re-installing
an OS to remove such DRM systems become a crime too?

Jim.

--
      DigitalDaemons IT Services.