funsec mailing list archives

Re: ? - I don't know where to send this one, so I'm sending i t here...

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 16:53:17 -0500

On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 10:40:34 +1300, Nick FitzGerald said:

   Why are our "protection" systems based on the obviously absurd
   notion that it is somehow more useful/efficient/whatever to detect
   more known bad stuff (which is a form of default allow) than simply
   to detect and allow only the known good stuff (default deny)?

Because Willy Wonka never *did* figure out how to sell somebody a
second Ever-Lasting Gobstopper.