funsec mailing list archives

Re: ? - I don't know where to send this one, so I'm sending i t here...

From: Blue Boar <BlueBoar () thievco com>
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2005 11:04:45 -0800

Drsolly wrote:
Certainly when I was in the AV field, a signature-based scanner was the most cost-effective way of using a bunch of computers in a world that included viruses. That was true, because it took months, even years, for malware to spread.

Also don't forget that it's very important to identify things specifcally, by name. So signatures aren't going away anytime soon, I imagine.

I wouldn't want my AV software to (just) say "Hey, we found something bad. We stopped it. Probably. Here's the file if you want a look." And then I spend 8 hours analyzing just another Bagle. As an end-user, I mean. Not as an AV employee. You guys still have to analyze just another Bagle for me. ;)

                                                BB