funsec mailing list archives

Re: Re[2]: A campus-wide 24/7 WiFi tracking network now in place at MIT

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 14:37:44 -0500

On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 12:47:29 +0100, Pierre Vandevenne said:

VKve> 1) Visiting miscreants are invisible because they aren't rfid-tagged.

Could probably be addressed by something like "if presence is detected
and no RFID response is received then sound alarm"

So we're right back at "Hall monitor says let me see your visitor's pass".

The RFID adds to the security in this scenario, how, exactly?

VKve> 2) The RFID doesn't tell you that Suzy is in class. It tells you that Suzy's ID
VKve> card is in class.  In reality, Suzy asked Jamie to carry the card while Suzy
VKve> popped out for a smoke in the girl's bathroom.....

Or worse. That one is solved already

http://www.adsx.com/content/pdf/pr/pr_44.pdf

Pretty soon, your school wants one, your health club wants one, this bunch
wants one, that bunch wants one - you get to either accept the drastic results
of using a common RFID, or carry a lot of them.

I can see it now - RFID's used as the seeds for new tribal emblems, much as
some tribes used pebbles inserted under the skin to cause patterns of bumps.
Welcome to the lunatic fringe of post-modern. ;)