funsec mailing list archives

More info on WiFi tracking

From: "Richard M. Smith" <rms () computerbytesman com>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 09:46:07 -0500

To make WiFi tracking easier, all DHCP servers should create log files which
are forwarded to datacollector.BeSafeFromTerrorism.gov once an hour.

Microsoft is doing some very interesting work in this area:

   http://msnbc.msn.com/id/8702329/

Intel too:

http://news.com.com/Intel+experiments+with+Wi-Fi+as+GPS+substitute/2100-7351
_3-5785565.html

WiFi tracking becomes even more interesting when we all start carrying
around cellphones that also talk WiFi:

   http://news.com.com/Wi-Fi+phones+make+a+splash/2100-7351_3-5296745.html

Also this company makes WiFi keyfobs designed solely for tracking "assests":

   http://www.aeroscout.com/content.asp?page=T2features

Richard M. Smith
http://www.ComputerBytesMan.com