funsec mailing list archives

Re[6]: French ruling party having a riot on the Internet

From: Pierre Vandevenne <pierre () datarescue com>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 16:36:00 +0100

Good Day,

BA> Yeah, the benefit of hindsight and all that.

Is that what you'll say of Irak 30 years from now?

BA> It was a sad case as, according to your link, of the
BA> Japanese-Amaricans "none had ever shown any disloyalty".
BA> Unlike the present 'French' rioters.

Brian, I was in France last week. I have friends in those places. My
girlfriend of 11 years and the mother of my kids lived for 20 years in
one of the rioting suburbs. I have the weakness to believe I have a
better understanding of the kids there than some neo-con in the US
forcing the world through the lens of his perception and his Holy War
agenda.

Can you imagine, almost anywhere in the world, 12 days of riots
with almost no fatal casualties (the first death, a 61 year old guy,
is described as "unrelated" by "Le Monde", but I am willing to grant
you that)? If you can't imagine how that could happen, then you are
missing an important piece of the puzzle.

Poverty, unemployment and ghettoes are the root cause of the problem.
In some ways, the situation isn't unlike the situation of many Blacks
in the US in the late 70s. Officially equal, but economically in the
mud. Was describing Blacks then as 'Americans' between quotes OK? I
don't believe so. Was treating them as second class citizen OK? I
don't believe so either...

Have you ever been to France, and if you have, have you ever been to
non-tourist places? You seem to be an expert on French identity...

Anyway, EOT for me.

--
Best regards,
 Pierre                            mailto:pierre () datarescue com