funsec mailing list archives

Re: French ruling party having a riot on the Internet

From: David LaPorte <david_laporte () harvard edu>
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 11:10:29 -0500

Maybe it's my own misconception, but citizenship in continental Europe seems tied more tightly to historical and ethnic identity than in America. America is the cliched "nation of immigrants" - you'd be hard pressed to find someone with pre-revolutionary roots, while Europe has hundreds of years of legacy (baggage?).

I guess my question is, does this subtle association of ethnicity and citizenship actually exist? If so, has that in part lead to the ghetto-ization of those "different" from the historical culture? It seems (and this is only based on my experience in the US and years of reading the BBC and the Economist) that there is much better integration and assimilation of immigrants in America. My guess is that since US citizenship is based on an "idea" vs some historical identity, it is more likely to accept outsiders as long as they are believers. Can someone who's lived in the US and on the continent comment?

Your example of the Japanese internment is valid, but I wonder if in this case the exception proves the rule.

Dave

Pierre Vandevenne wrote:
Good Day,

BA> disaffected 'French' youths. I don't consider them French for the
BA> simple reason that their loyalties ultimately lay elsewhere.

Yeah, I remember that it is a tendency you guys have...

http://www.lib.utah.edu/spc/photo/9066/9066.htm