funsec mailing list archives

Re: harvesting this list for email addresses

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 23:37:37 +1300

Andre Ludwig wrote:

<<snip>>
And to keep it with today's theme of regurgitating slashdot articles on list...

IT: Meng Wong's Perspectives on Antispam
Posted by samzenpus on Wednesday February 15, @08:15PM
from the no-more-online-pharmacy dept.
  netscoop writes "CircleID is running an interesting blog by Meng
Wong, best know as the lead developer of the anti-spam authentication
scheme, SPF. While touching on various recent hot issues, Meng has
this to say about phishing: 'The final solution to the phishing
problem requires that people use a whitelist-only, default-deny
paradigm for email. Many people already subscribe to default-deny for
IM and VoIP, but there is a cultural resistance to whitelist-only
email -- email is perceived as the medium of least reserve. I believe
that we must move to a default-deny model for email to solve phishing;
at the same time we must preserve the openness that made email the
killer app in the first place. The tension between these poles creates
a tremendous opportunity for innovation and social good if we get
things right, and for shattering failure if we get things wrong.'
Right or wrong, definitely worth a read."

More evidence Wong is smoking some really baaaaad shit and he should
stop talking as if he a single fucking clue about what spam is all
about, because he doesn't and clearly never will...

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald