funsec mailing list archives

Re: Administrator Accounts

From: Blue Boar <BlueBoar () thievco com>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 12:35:28 -0800

Todd Towles wrote:
Ryan wrote:
I like the way the Mac does it, makes you quite comfortable as a
regular user, and prompt for the password when you need to do something that takes privs.

You mean, the way Linux/UNIX does it? ;)

I disagree. I think the Mac goes one better, and includes specific support for this, complains at you when you violate it, and makes you do a bit of hunting even to turn the root account on for actual use.

*nix makes it easy at the command-line, with sudo, etc... but I can't recall there being good GUI support. I.e. I log in as luser, and will the various X bits do the auto-prompting like the Mac?

To be completely fair, I spend very little time in a GUI on unix, so I probably wouldn't know. I have Windows (and a little Mac, lately) for GUIs. :)

                                        BB