funsec mailing list archives

RE: Administrator Accounts

From: "Larry Seltzer" <larry () larryseltzer com>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 06:32:04 -0500

If it doesn't "run in user mode" WTF was
it ever get approved for use in the business?

Because in a monopoly environment, the choices
are "take it" and "leave it".
And if "leave it" isn't an option, it gets
approved for use, no matter how ugly it is...

I think "it" in this case is the application, not Windows (which I would
argue is not really a monopoly either, but that's another provocative
thread). The application is probably not a monopoly, but some large internal
program that writes a hell of a lot of data to the app's Program Files
directory or to values in the HKLM hive, and that's why it requires admin
access.

Larry Seltzer
eWEEK.com Security Center Editor
http://security.eweek.com/