funsec mailing list archives

RE: Administrator Accounts

From: "Todd Towles" <toddtowles () brookshires com>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 14:43:24 -0600

Larry:
I run as a standard user and it's very rare that I need to
re-login as admin. I can't think of a time when a Microsoft
program required me to, except for Windows/Office Update.
Updates to applications and Windows should be coming through
a central system anyway; automatic updates works even if
you're logged in as a standard user, although it may force a
reboot. And users can't install software as a standard user,
but so what. They shouldn't be installing software on company PCs.

Newer Microsoft Apps are much better than older ones.

Most of these are games, but VMWare is on this list -
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307091

Susan has been fighting this fight for a long time...and I think she is
on this list. =) Susan?
http://nonadmin.editme.com/KnownProblems

http://www.threatcode.com/admin_rights.htm

As I look over the listed application, I feel this issue is a greater
problem for the home users than for corporate users, which have multiple
levels of security. I would like for microsoft to focus on getting
everyday non-corporate users to run on non-admin. Corporate users know
we need to run as non-admin...hopefully Vista will be that new voice in
the non-corporate world.

-Todd