funsec mailing list archives

Re: another VX site?

From: "Joe Jaroch (Tera Innovations, Inc.)" <security () terainnovations com>
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2006 16:12:06 -0600

The problems with the MD5 naming scheme are:
1) Users will have no idea what the virus is. 'User-friendly' naming schemes are important, tho, not entirely necessary. 2) You are thinking mostly of trojans and static worms. While these types of malware are very prevalent over their virulent counterparts, they do not make up ALL of the samples out there, so, if some universal naming scheme woudl be put into place, it could not be truly universal as viruses would come out and not be named correctly.

What I think might work well would be a multi-vendor scanner base, where, every time a definition is added, samples are rescanned in realtime. This way, if a questionable sample is added by vendor X, a first reponder, vendors Y and Z can learn about the name that X chose, and everyone would have the same name.

What do y'all think? I think it wouldn't really be that hard to implement and would be a service to everyone, using eachother to try and get a definition out as fast as possible. It also allows for no human interaction if the big vendors do not want to talk to the small vendors. A simple system with tracking ids can be implemented and emails can be sent out automatically.

-Joe Jaroch
Tera Innovations, Incorporated.

dudevanwinkle () gmail com wrote:

Drsolly wrote:

Put a sock in it.

Done! =P

At the time, we sorted out the names for all the viruses there were (maybe
1000?), and laid down naming conventions, that are still being followed.

The essential problem remains. You get a new "thing", you want to make detection for it immediately, so you need a name for it, and you don't really want to spend a week with 1000 other AV companies etc, working out whether the file that you have in front of you is the same malware as the one they have (remembering that you can have the same malware in different files) before including it in the product. And afterwards, reconciling the names that 1000 companies have chosen, is really non-trivial, expecially if there's 1000 new malwares per month.

Ja, no offense to the AV industry, or Dr Solomon in general ;-) , but
attempting to come up with unique names for variants of 65,000 known
viri is kind of a hopeless task, and even if names were contrived, those
of us without the benefit of photographic memories would soon lose
track. Shoot even the AV industry has given up, calling everything
Sober, MyDoom and Klez.

I would suggest (as I would guess others have before) that we name the
viri by their md5sum or some such naming signature. maybe if our
numbering scheme is successfully (maybe a md5 of the malicious payload,
followed by the md5 of the exploit(s) it uses to propagate, followed by
the md5 of the "schlock" (eg: "greetz to my diapers") then we could even
have a DNS-esq scheme for mapping those nasty long numbers to nifty
short names based on autovariant detection. One would hope the viri DNS
system would base the naming convention on points of entry or payload
sections of viri rather than the schlock part.

I am assuming that this has already been discussed and dismissed, does
anyone know why?

-JP

"what was that word again... oh yeah! photographic memory!"
-JP writing this email