funsec mailing list archives

Re: another VX site?

From: Jeff Kell <jeff-kell () utc edu>
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2006 13:44:16 -0500

Oliver Schneider wrote:

Instead of complaining about naming schemes of other vendors, all vendors
should just sit down together and find a common naming scheme *ASAP* - with
a *shared base* of names! Because this is were the users think that the
vendors are "wrong/silly/etc".

The problem there is the influence of AV business/politics. There would be no way to have a "common naming authority" without simultaneously making all discoveries and claims common knowledge. The "my AV is better than your AV" war would be somewhat emasculated when this becomes knowledge, and there is no race to the "my AV detected this first" prize.

Well, there is something to be said for competition in the implementation and deployment of such detections, but I don't see the for-profit AV vendors suddenly co-operating on a global scale.

Jeff