funsec mailing list archives

Re: another VX site?

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2006 17:08:36 +0000 (GMT)

I wasn't there, so I'd love to hear Alan's take on this if my
assumptions are wrong, BUT familial grouping by code similarity was
seen as an important feature of the naming scheme by _most_ AV
researchers in the early days as grouping similar things in a
classification system seems to be a natural process for humans and it
helps reduce the potential overload of a classification system that
does NOT have such a function.

When you see how a virus infects and how you do the repair, you see which
virus it most resembles (and probably which virus was used as a template
for making the "new" virus). So, as soon as you've identified a new
specimen as another variant on Jerusalem, you don't have to think very
hard to know how to do the exact identification and repair (and it also
makes the disassembly a lot easier), and laziness is one of the three
programming virtues.

In the early days, it was mainly Vess who was keen on familial
classification (he was an academic then). I had some interest (it helped
in the pursuit of laziness), and Fridrik's product used a scanning method
that tended to give familial identification, and I think his database was
family-oriented.

That is a very important thing to recall too -- when all this started,
virtually ALL malware that was of interest to the nascent AV industry
was _parasitically infectious_.  Nowadays probably 99+% of the malware
_files_ handled by AV, IDS, etc, etc systems are static _by design_.

Even then, there might be data areas, counters or internal buffers, which
are different from instance to instance.

They may still be viral -- what I call "monolithic replicators"; think
network share crawlers, self-mailers, etc -- but this was an almost
unseen category back when Alan, Vess and Frisk were cutting their teeth
on Lehigh, Stoned, Jerusalem, etc, etc and talking about standardizing
a naming scheme.  And that was a good thing, as the scheme we have
today is flexible and extensible enough to fairly easily deal with the
vagaries of malware development we have seen in the last 15+ years...

We didn't know how things would develop, but we could see that
extensibilty would be important.

In the past, very few AV products tried to apply a virus map; working out
a virus map is quite time consuming on the analyst. And, as of 1995,
Findvirus was the only product that used virus maps to do exact
identification (the situation might be different now).

I had an idea that Frisk has been using something very similar for a
very long time (even since _before_ the major engine revision at v2.0)?

I'm not certain, but I don't think so, because F-Prot couldn't do *exact*
identification.

You really do not want the "what is the correct plural of virus"
discussion here,

Too right, and I normally don't bother, it's actually helpful when folks
self-identify as 1337. I don't really know why I bothered this time.