funsec mailing list archives

RE: Vulnerability-based IPS Patent

From: "Richard M. Smith" <rms () bsf-llc com>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 19:25:10 -0500

Nick,

Here the folks that settled rather going to court over the '776 patent:

   - Symantec
   - Alladin
   - McAfee
   - Clearswift

A TSR product is a good place to look for prior art.  However, the TSR had
to operate on an incoming file before it is written to disk.

I thought that Hilgreave made terminal emulator software and they
implemented a virus scanner for files being downloaded from a BBS.  Their
patent lawyer generalized this idea a bit in the '776 patent. At the time,
most DOS-based AV companies were focused on floppy-based viruses.

Richard