funsec mailing list archives

Re: Greed, stupidity, arrogance, and small genitalia.... (a c orporate study on the bells)

From: Dude VanWinkle <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 16:40:40 -0500

On 1/17/06, Todd Towles <toddtowles () brookshires com> wrote:
Yeah Ferg doesn't have to worry too much ;)

http://www.austinwireless.net/

Always need one of these - http://www.austinwirelesscity.org/. For those
not in the Austin area, this is a good spoof of the "Keep Austin Weird"
shirts

Its not that hard or expensive to start a wireless ISP. I looked into
setting up one with a friend in WA (still might, you in T? ;-). All it
takes is a fat pipe, some routers, and a few antennas. Then you spread
like a virus, infecting those nearest your signal, they giving free
access every so often in return for someone letting you set up a
repeater on their house. You can even get a DSL line and a cable modem
as a backup network to provide _some_ bandwidth while your main feed
is down.

Does anyone know how far this type of "ad-hoc" network will pan out? I
would guess somewhere between 11MB and 54 MB, but I could be wrong.

-JP