funsec mailing list archives

Re: Greed, stupidity, arrogance ... and revenge ...

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rMslade () shaw ca>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 20:25:48 -0800

Date sent:              Tue, 17 Jan 2006 22:01:02 -0500
From:                   Dude VanWinkle <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>

What about our friends accross the oceans?

Lots of little devices, on buoys, self-righting (self-righteous?), with solar panels?
All the ships at sea?  Balloons/other lighter-than-air craft?  Lots of small, solar
powered aircraft?  Lots of possibilities.

Dont get me wrong, the idea of doing away with the Bandwidth Barons
(telcos) is appealing, but who would pay to send up the satellites

1)  Companies wanting the advertising/goodwill.
2)  Whatever analogue of broadcast media survives the shakeout.
3)  Companies/nations doing remote sensing/GPS and willing to provide links.
4)  Richard Branson.

and
man the call centers for the IT challenged?

Your local Linux user group  :-)

I still think we would need a backbone (just not bellsouth ;-)

The more people throw the same (few) objections at me, the better I like the idea.
 It wouldn't be everything, for everyone, right away, but I was using (what wasn't
yet called) the Internet 20 years ago, and we've come a long way.

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca      slade () victoria tc ca      rslade () sun soci niu edu
Literature is the art of writing something that will be read
twice; journalism what will be read once.           - Cyril Connolly
http://victoria.tc.ca/techrev    or    http://sun.soci.niu.edu/~rslade