funsec mailing list archives

Re: Point of No Return? Microsoft Says Recovery from Mal ware Becoming Impo ssible

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 16:08:26 -0400

On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 15:28:34 EDT, Blanchard_Michael () emc com said:

I mention an idea for a new and great widget **in some public forum**

Later today I realize that my idea is truly unique and I want to spend the money (couple
thousand USD basically) to get a patent for it.  I would be denied that
patent just because I mentioned the idea publicly?  Even though it was
truely my idea, I would still be denied the patent?

Once upon a time, the science fiction writer Arthur C Clarke didn't get the
patent on the concept of a geosynchronous communications satellite because he
had mentioned it in a short story before patenting it.  Of course, back then,
they still had requirements about novelty of ideas and lack of prior art.

These days, the fact that it's an obvious idea to any journeyman practitioner
in the field, and being done in production for 10 years by major companies, isn't
a show-stopper.

Remember guys - the people who are examining computer-related patents currently
are the guys who ended up at the USPTO because they couldn't get a decent job
even at the peak of the dot-com bubble.....