funsec mailing list archives

Re: Point of No Return? Microsoft Says Recovery from Mal ware Becoming Impo ssible

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 11:55:20 +1200

Andrew wrote:

If that were true, imagine the fun we could have.

...Garbage powered, clean running, inexpensive, safe, flying car....

Hoho!  I have ruined patent prospects for myself and the future inventor
of this device.  I also want to mention an idea I have for living
forever and time travel.

And healthy pizza.

A small flaw in this is that a patent is (supposed to) cover an
"invention", not just the idea for one.  The art of writing a patent
application is to make it as waffly and unclear as possible, while
still "clearly" covering your specific invention.  The objective of the
obfuscation is to try to make it seem that although you implemented
your specific invention in the way covered by the patent, you also
"invented" several (or, preferably, _all_) more or less vaguely related
ways of implementing it too, thus increasing the breadth of the
protection the patent extends, or if you're more cynical, extending the
range of possible targets for malicious infringement litigation...

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald