funsec mailing list archives

RE: British Legislation to Compel Encryption Key Disclosure

From: Gregory Hicks <ghicks () well com>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 08:44:57 -0700 (PDT)

From: Blanchard_Michael () emc com
Subject: RE: [funsec] British Legislation to Compel Encryption Key Disclosure
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 11:02:49 -0400
To: <fergdawg () netzero net>, <funsec () linuxbox org>

Yikes!  Glad I live in the States!

Me too, but in certain jursdictions in the US, merely having the
software installed is a clear sign of "guilt" for whatever the TLAs
want to prove guilt for.  Doesn't matter if you have a key or not.  Or
if the software has been installed.  All you need to have for "guilt"
is to have the software on your machine.

Regards,
Gregory Hicks

  Seriously though, I always thought that most European countries
were much more strict than over here on privacy matters... I guess
that doesn't go for the UK :-(

Michael P. Blanchard
Antivirus / Security Engineer, CISSP, GCIH, CCSA-NGX, MCSE
Office of Information Security & Risk Management
EMC ² Corporation
4400 Computer Dr.
Westboro, MA 01580

[...]
I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes.  I will surely
learn a great deal today.

"A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for
lunch.  Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the
decision." - Benjamin Franklin