funsec mailing list archives

Re: British Legislation to Compel Encryption Key Disclosure

From: "David Lodge" <dave () cirt net>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 20:30:12 +0200

On Thu, 18 May 2006 17:47:09 +0200, Brian Loe <knobdy () gmail com> wrote:
On 5/18/06, Blanchard_Michael () emc com <Blanchard_Michael () emc com> wrote:
Seriously though, I always thought that most European countries were much more strict than over here on privacy matters... I guess that doesn't go for the UK :-(
Why would you think that?

Erm... it's called we've have laws over privacy on data for many many years and rights to view and dispute collected data about us.

I'm not too fussed about this part of RIPA - it seems pretty susceptible to the "I can't remember" line, or, if I had data that incriminated me to a serious crime that was encrypted I'd just chose to take the 12 month sentence for not giving out my key...