funsec mailing list archives

RE: turn in your knives!

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 15:46:44 +0100 (BST)

On Fri, 26 May 2006 Blanchard_Michael () emc com wrote:

 boy do I feel safer knowing that the evil Batleth is off the streets.  There are oh so many people that are getting
hurt, mamed, killed with those things....  After all it's capable of BEHEADING SOMEONE!!!!!

  The swords too!  WOW!  I feel so much safer now!!!!

  </sarcasm>

   ok, really, how is getting that Batleth off the wall of some Star
Trek fan making England safer?  And the swords on that table too, come
on, how many people are even getting so much as a cut finger by one of

We have, in my memory in the last year or so, had at least one incident of
a guy running amok with a samurai sword.

those things....  A pocket knife, stilleto, switchblade (flip knife I
think it's called in UK),

Flick knife.

I can see... But how many thugs are actually
walking around with a full hand and a half sword, machette, or Batleth!

We've had two well-publicised incidents recently.

1) A special constable, female, was stabbed to death outside her home when
she was investigating a possible crime. It looks likely that the knife
used, was one she'd grabbed from her kitchen, and the attacker used it on
her.

2) A 15 yo kid was killed outside his school, with a knife. It seems he
was trying to break up a fight.

So when the fuzz raided a house (for reasons we don't actually know) and
came across this huge great five-foot steel weapon, which apparently was
kept nice and sharp (which you wouldn't need if you just wanted it as a
prop at trekkie meetings), they could hardly ignore it.