funsec mailing list archives

RE: Thinking out loud: On the value of honeynets, trojans, botnets, etc.

From: "StyleWar" <stylewar () cox net>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 00:09:49 -0500

If you have the ability to install them, and the time to manage them, or
want to use them as a training tool for detection and response personnel...I
think they're still useful.

A while back I was (relatively speaking to my peers anyways) of the opinion
that honeynets were ultimately a waste of time because they generated more
false positives, and pseudopositives (positives you can do nothing about)
than they did positive positives (ya man ... thats the good stuff).

I've since modified my opinion slightly. Whether it's the user interaction
branch of the threat tree or otherwise, the threat agent is rare that can
cherry pick. For those threat agents that *can* cherry pick, honey nets may
be relatively useless... But I would challenge the assumption that trojans
are more predominantly spread through unwitting install, rather than some
other method, and suggest that they (honenets) still have value as tripwires
along the path to the goodies...

And I think "Iskorpitx" would probably agree with me....that is, if they
woulda had some honeynets to help catch his Turkish a$$.

-

StyleWar

"There are 3 kinds of people: Those who MAKE things
happen, those who WATCH things happen, and those who
wonder 'WHAT HAPPENED?'"