funsec mailing list archives

RE: Thinking out loud: On the value of honeynets, trojans, bo tnets, etc.

From: "Fergie" <fergdawg () netzero net>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 05:17:56 GMT

Could you expand on this part, please?

I'm interested to know why you think that a honeynet is any more
"intuitive" in trending and forecasting attack vectors than a, say,
liberally administered IDS?

Just curious -- this discussion is becoming very fruitful. :-)

Cheers,

- ferg

p.s. Also bear in mind that I just might be playing Devil's
Advocate. :-)

-- "StyleWar" <stylewar () cox net> wrote:

[...] But I would challenge the assumption that trojans
are more predominantly spread through unwitting install, rather than some
other method, and suggest that they (honenets) still have value as tripwires
along the path to the goodies...

[snip]

--
"Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson
 fergdawg () netzero net or fergdawg () sbcglobal net