funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] Dispute Credit Card Charges at Your Peril

From: "Jerry Hill" <malaclypse2 () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 13:21:33 -0400

On 6/14/06, Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com> wrote:
Sounds sensible to me. Fraud me once, shame on you - fraud me twice, shame
on me.

It seems okay to me too, at least on the surface.  I suppose that if
the businesses were violating their own privacy policies, or a US (or
Panamanian) law that covers information of this type, it would be a
problem.  In general, this seems fairly similar to the credit
reporting that already goes on between merchants and companies like
Equifax.  Perhaps some consumer protections need to be extended to
deal with new aggregators of personal information, like this
ChargeBack Bureau, like those that cover the credit reporting agencies.

The article's "OMG, stores are sharing customer information!" tone
seems overblown though, considering the amount of data sharing that
already goes on among merchants.

--
Jerry