funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] Dispute Credit Card Charges at Your Peril

From: "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 16:48:56 -0400

On 6/14/06, Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com> wrote:
On Wed, 14 Jun 2006, Dude VanWinkle wrote:

On 6/14/06, Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com> wrote:
On Wed, 14 Jun 2006, Fergie wrote:

David Lazarus writes in The San Francisco Chronicle:

[snip]

If you've ever reversed the charge for a dubious credit card
transaction or online purchase, your name could be on a secretive
overseas database that consumer advocates say may violate protections
guaranteed under U.S. law.

The database is maintained by a Panama company named Goldwell Corp.,
which runs an online service called ChargeBack Bureau.

[snip]

More here:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/06/14/BUG3KJDKLC1.DTL

Sounds sensible to me. Fraud me once, shame on you - fraud me twice, shame
on me.

What about Ernst & Young employees?

Work for Ernst & Young for 1 week shame on you, work for Ernst & Young
for two weeks shame on me?

I don't understand what you're referring to.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=%22ernst+and+young%22++%22customer+data%22&btnG=Search

I was just trying to point out that it is not always the consumers
fault their data is stolen. Idiotic infosec (both policy and
technology driven) practices by ChoicePoint, Ernst and Young, the
military, Equifax, and millions of other business that accept credit
card transactions leave some consumers no choice but to call up and
cancel orders or worse "freeze" their credit.

The powers that be dont like the latter option tho:
-------------------------------
from: http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/2006/06/14/1682531.htm
"There are efforts on Capitol Hill to pre-empt the 22 state laws that
allow credit freezes and replace them with a national standard. In one
national bill that the credit bureau industry favors, access to credit
freezes would be sharply limited, available only to people whose
identities already have been stolen."

I am just saying that this company collects data that may mark someone
as being a "credit risk" when all they did wrong was have their data
sold to _every_ bidder by Equifax. A couple of low-profile hacks
against the smaller companies that buy the big 3's info and voila' you
are blacklisted by credit companies all over the world.

Guess I just dont like any kind of profiling tho.. fuckin bastards
judging me, who do they think they are?  ;-)

-JP