funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] U.S. Government Mining Banking Data in Anti-Terror Effort

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 17:45:13 -0400

On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 15:04:28 CDT, Brian Loe said:

b) Why do "security theatre" but not tell anybody about it?  (If personal privacy is
violated, but nobody ever finds out about it, are politicians still slimy scum?)

What is security theatre?

Security Theatre:  Imposing some stupid but highly visible security measure
so people will get the perception that Something Is Being Done, rather than
implementing unobtrusive but effective security measures that aren't noticed
by people.

Anybody who's had to walk through an airport in their socks after having
surrendered their lighter, while carrying a laptop bag with *lots* more
dangerous components in them, knows what I mean.

Should I use the battery pack as a blunt weapon, or the power cord as
a garotte, or the sharp edge of a broken CD as a knife?  Those are OK,
but a Bic lighter isn't.

That's Security Theatre.....