funsec mailing list archives

Re: University of South Carolina e-Mail Compromises Student IDs

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 13:24:57 -0500

On 4/17/06, Blanchard_Michael () emc com <Blanchard_Michael () emc com> wrote:
If you ask me, your SSN should not be used for any form of ID purposes....  Hmmm, funny it says that exact thing on
the SS card too,  "not to be used for identification purposes"... Yet how often it is, unless you complain....

Seems to me that its ILLEGAL to use it as an ID number - if I remember
correctly. This is partially why, again if I remember correctly, the
state of Missouri was forced to stop using it as a DL number (if you
were stupid enough to let them in the first place)!

'Course, if you ever get stopped by the po-pos and you refuse to give
it to them you'll be in for a bad day...