funsec mailing list archives

Re: Verizon Fined by District for Chalk-on-Sidewalk Advertising

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2006 23:31:10 +0100 (BST)

On Sat, 1 Apr 2006, Dude VanWinkle wrote:

On 4/1/06, Fergie <fergdawg () netzero net> wrote:
Wow -- this sounds like an April Fool's joke, but I think it's
for real.  :-)

Via The Washington Post.

[snip]

The District [of Coulmbia] said yesterday that it fined Verizon Communications Inc. $1,050 for stenciling
orange-red chalk ads on sidewalks across the city to promote its Yellow Pages.

The free advertising from passers by, coupled with the free
advertising from the newspapers reporting it makes this seem like the
writing on the wall: good ROI for USD 1050, we will see more of this
chalk advertising (probably on larger stationary objects such as:
bridges, walls, water towers, and older fat people).

As an older fat person, I'd want a bit more than $1050 to display Verizon
advertising.