funsec mailing list archives

Re: Point of No Return? Microsoft Says Recovery from Malware Becoming Impo ssible

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 12:24:30 +1200

Drsolly wrote:

Huh. So, I could still patent it, and make loadsamoney by licencing it
out.

Well, one suspects that in that case the USPTO would have no trouble
overturning the patent as you clearly should have known that your own
publication of the idea denied the "right" to a patent.  (IANAL though,
so that is purely speculative -- I imagine that there is some legal
declaration you make as a patent applicant that there are no reasons
you know of to invalidate your application, and your own prior
publication would be such a reason...)

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald