funsec mailing list archives

Daughter's computer

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 15:21:27 +0100 (BST)

I just had a phone call from my daughter. "I've got a virus". Actually,
I'd guess it's not a virus, just some random piece of scumware.

I noticed the advice from Microsoft - in this situation, you have to do a
complete reinstall.

She has no idea how she acquired the scumware. She's not technical, but
neither is she clueless. My guess is that she, or her flatmate, just
visited a site that did a drive-by.

Reinstalling Windows, and Word, and the IM program, and all her data ...
isn't going to be pleasant or easy. I'm guessing that it'll be necessary
to do this every few months now.

So, in the light of the advice from MS, I'm going to try to wean her onto
Linux.