funsec mailing list archives

Re: Daughter's computer

From: Jeff Rosowski <rosowskij () ie ymp gov>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 10:08:24 -0700 (PDT)

In my experince of a driveby, cleaners didn't and I had to reinstall. And
Microsoft says the same. I rather like the idea of following the Microsoft
recommendation and reinstall Windows, even though in this case, it means
I'll be installing Linux (if I can talk her into it).

If she's just using office applications, web browsing, and IM. It's a viable solution. You might start her out with one of the many live CD distributions, which will save you some time, and let her find something she likes. My boss's wife swears by damn small linux, but there are a lot of choices out there. In any case you want to as a minumum if you go with windows or linux, get her using Firefox. Also once you have the machine setup, it'd be a good idea to create an image of it, so if it gets corrupted again, you have a quick way to go back to a known point.