funsec mailing list archives

Re: Daughter's computer

From: "Stephen John Smoogen" <smooge () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 12:20:42 -0600

On 4/27/06, Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com> wrote:
On Thu, 27 Apr 2006, Brian Loe wrote:

That's certainly an option - and virtual pc software is now,
essentially, free - so why not?

Well, there is a lot of overhead in running an OS on top of an OS,
especially when the pay off is just web browsing.

Perhaps you should just invest in some decent anti-virus software and

Is there some? I'm not too keen on installing software that's been written
and tested and distributed in less than 24 hours.

I thought that was the secret to good Antivirus. I downloaded this
FREE antivirus called Dr Solomons 2006. It showed up in a pop-up on my
screen so I figured that it would be perfect since it knew about my
machine. :).

In  seriousness, it comes down to risk assessment and time and effort
assessment. If all she does is surf then a Linux box is pretty much
got everything. If she is wanting to run all the rad software (3-D
icons!) then I would go with a Linux box that just starts up X and
vmware inside of that. The vmware just runs Windows. And it does a
restore checkpoint everynow and then to keep copies of old stuff. If
she wants to play 3d video games and such.. then she may want to go
with shelling out to the man and getting a modern antivirus  system
even if it irks the old-man :).

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
CSIRT/Linux System Administrator