funsec mailing list archives

Re: Consumer Reports Slammed for Creating 'Test' Viruses

From: Blue Boar <BlueBoar () thievco com>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 12:46:37 -0700

Drsolly wrote:
I've noticed a lot of bad feeling against the AV companies. People think they write the viruses,

*I* don't think that, generally speaking. (I seriously doubt that no one, ever, working for an AV company hasn't written or modified some malware. But generally, no, I don't believe they are creating the malware.)

However, that is a HUGE reason why AV people are so paranoid about creating malware, because of 20 years of people waiting to pounce the moment there is a hint that they do.

people think that AV products should be made so they don't need updates.

*I* don't think that. I think that AV relies almost entirely on signature updates. However, if there is going to be any claim for detection for unknown malware, then that claim is fair game for testing.

A lot of the comments are "The AV companies don't like to see third party testing, and that's why they're against this test."

I can see where some people would think that, but I don't find it to be a particularly strong argument.

There's a lot of confusion about why this test isn't a good thing - too many people are focusing on the ethical issue (I think that's a major red herring, it's not too difficult to ensure the test files get destroyed) and not enough are focussing on the issue of whether this is actually a useful test.

I don't think I'm particularly worrying about the ethical question, I'm trying to find out why the test is not valid, strictly for determining functionality.

I DO think that many people from the AV companies let the ethical question strongly impact their logical arguments.

Here's where I left off, trying to find out why my virus would be different from anyone else's:

Drsolly wrote:
No, I'm saying that there's an Intelligent Designer behind the viruses, and your purpose isn't the purpose of the virus authors, and you would design different viruses from the ones they would design.
OK, I'm not sure what would be qualitatively different about me the
virus author, versus the natural self-selected population of virus
authors, but at least I understand your position better.  For the
record, I wasn't trying to hint that I could write some
uber-polymorphic-super virus.  I'm under the impression that I could
write some 80's-style file infecter, and as long as it's original, it
wouldn't be detected.

                                        BB