funsec mailing list archives

Re: Consumer Reports Slammed for Creating 'Test' Viruses

From: Blue Boar <BlueBoar () thievco com>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 15:59:40 -0700

Peter Kosinar wrote:
As Nick and I pointed out in our previous replies, it's -incredibly- easy to make the test meaningless from the technical point of view. Quick summary: Did they check each of those 5500 pieces of malware and actually verified that they work -and- that they perform their malicious activity?

I don't mean to defend the Consumer Reports methodology in particular, I don't know anything about what they did. Yes, I would tend to assume the worst, which would be something like they used some outdated toolkits to generate 5500 files, only some of which actually run.

Rather, I argue against the claim that writing new malware is never a valid test.

Actually, Ryan, assuming that by 80's-style file infector you mean an
infector for MS-DOS-running machines of those days -and- using the
techniques common in those days, I doubt it'll be undetected by all
the AVs. Yes, it is possible to write such a thing (and it is not all
that difficult) with current knowledge and ideas but if you really
adhered to the virus-writing principles used then, the result will be
quite likely to be detected.

If I essentially copied some code or cobbled together something out examples of my copy of the Big Black Book of Computer Viruses, then yes. If i did my own study of the PE file format, etc.. and wrote original code, I would be really impressed if it were flagged as a virus. Halting problem, and all that.

I don't particularly care to test my claim, though.

                                                BB