funsec mailing list archives

Re: Finn Takes Gold at Mobe Throwing Contest

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 14:42:47 -0400

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 14:14:27 EDT, Blanchard_Michael () emc com said:
 Wouldn't you get better distance throwing them like a Frisbee and not a dicu

A discus is heavy, and as a result the spin doesn't matter as much as for
a frisbee.  The old 14" disk platters were quite hefty too - and at that
point, the longer moment arm gives you more leverage and acceleration.  Also,
in a discus throw, your elbow is mostly straight - you try to wing a 2 pound
discus like a frisbee you'll likely tear something in your elbow.

And yes, I've thrown a discus, just not well enough to be competitive. I also
did high jump and hurdles about as well as you'd expect a distance runner to
be able to manage. :)