funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] US vs EU

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 12:59:42 -0500

On 8/28/06, Dude VanWinkle <dudevanwinkle () gmail com> wrote:
It looks like the reason that MI? isnt listed is that these are
privacy advocates in the UK that are questioning the US's rights to
snoop. That is; a non-govt body is questioning a foreign govts right
to snoop on their citizens.

Why not question their own country about why they're letting them?

While I doubt if the British privacy advocates can sue to get their
own ministry of intelligence to stop snooping (like our infamous EFF
vs AT&T/ACLU vs NSA/ETC vs ETC) suit) on them, it is an interesting
tactic to try and get ours to stop doing so. While British law may
grant MI? the rights to snoop on citizens, it most certainly doesnt
grant the US intelligence the same rights.

Just proves what BS this whole thing is, doesn't it. They can't sue
their own country, according to you, but somehow they're going to sue
a foreign country? Where has that ever worked?