funsec mailing list archives

Re: write viruses? it's controversy time of the month

From: "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 21:13:02 -0400

On 8/29/06, Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com> wrote:
On Tue, 29 Aug 2006, Blue Boar wrote:

> Dude VanWinkle wrote:
> > What if the viruses you create are programmed to only work on a
> > private IP range (10.254.127.0/24), or that expire after a certain
> > date (say 1 week).
> >
> > Does that remove the unwanted moral hangups?
>
> Most people in the AV industry would say that you created a variant, and
> now they might not detect it, and that's much worse (than spreading the
> original.)
>
> Interestingly, I did pretty much exactly that with Nimda.A, in order to
> test a product I was developing.  Afterwards, I thought I would be a
> good guy, and submit samples to the AV companies.

Uh - no. That's not being a good guy. Being a good guy, means you deleted
all copies of the virus.

Actually being a good guy, you would write an app that doesnt require
a whole industries be created because you classify malware as a
"virus" or "spyware" or addware" and charge more for the dat files
used for detection ;-)

-JP<who tests his av by throwing spyware at it>