funsec mailing list archives

Re: RE: [privacy] Gas prices and car driving

From: Andrew <andrewwilly () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 15:10:06 -0700

You have an interest in confusing the obvious for the purpose of being contrary. Or so it seems to me.

/"The problem isn't the difference in the speeds of the two cars. //The problem is the difference in speed between your car going 20 OR 60 mph and the moose doing ZERO MPH." /

It was a direct question about running into a moose and which speed is worse (assuming "worse" means likelihood of injury to occupants) --- 20 or 60 miles per hour. Is there any question that 60 mph, or any speed greater than the one compared to for that matter, is "worse"?

An earlier message prefaced the above fallacy with: "/Truth is, speed doesn't kill - a difference in speed does." /Enlightening.

And this gem: "/And enough with the physics "lessons" - they don't help you either. If I drive and 120mph its not a problem until I hit a wall (doing 0mph) or another vehicle going slower. If the vehicle I hit is doing 110, and depending on the cars, it might be possible to recover from the *bump* and it certainly has no bearing on my being a fatality/. "

This statements suggests that it doesn't matter what the speed is as long as we're all doing it together. Drivers, those typically constrained by speed limits, run into walls, trees, stopped vehicles, and moose, not things in motion, at least in motion in the same direction. With zero motion as the constant (fair, since in relation to a car, the greater part of the world is stationary), then speed certainly does kill.

Andrew