funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] "Report warns of people-tagging madness"

From: "Bruce Ediger" <eballen1 () qwest net>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 07:06:41 -0700 (MST)

On Tue, 31 Oct 2006, Brian Loe wrote:

On 10/31/06, Bruce Ediger <eballen1 () qwest net> wrote:
On 10/30/06, rms () computerbytesman com <rms () computerbytesman com> wrote:
Hmm, should I be worried about all this tracking?'

To which Brian Loe responded:
Only if you want to disappear or do something illegal.

Hey, what if your ethnic group falls out of disfavor?  The Hutu/Tutsi
thing in Rwanda didn't happen all that long ago.  Also, I believe
the Czechoslovak Federal Republic revoked the citizenship
of most or all those of "gypsy descent" not too long ago
(http://www.law.nyu.edu/eecr/vol7num2/special/denyingcitizenship.html).

Another completely legitimate arguement against it...

Spoken like a true gentleman.

Now, will you acknowledge that your original statement, that the reason
to object to continuous monitoring and tracking is "Only if you want to
disappear or do something illegal", is far too simplistic, and ignores
unfortunate realities and the weight of history?

Governments are not our friends, even if they are All Republican, and headed
by a born again.

--
Bruce Ediger
720-932-1954