funsec mailing list archives

Re: Did the South Portland Maine police overreact or not?

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 10:23:22 -0600

On 11/2/06, Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com> wrote:
>   Yes, brandishing is along the lines of "showing in a threateningly
> manor".  Leaves an awful lot to interpretation....

If "threatening manner" is the criterion, then I'd say that anyone openly
carrying a gun is showing it in a threatening manner. Isn't that the whole
point of openly carrying?

To you it might be threatening, but a reasonable adult wouldn't be
threatened at all. Considering every cop in the states carries openly
it is pretty common, besides the fact that those aforementioned
rational adults would understand the difference between a gun in a
holster and gun in your face....