funsec mailing list archives

RE: Did the South Portland Maine police overreact or not?

From: Blanchard_Michael () emc com
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 17:22:22 -0500

On Wed, 1 Nov 2006, Brian Loe wrote:

On 11/1/06, Richard M. Smith <rms () computerbytesman com> wrote:

I suspect that the fake gun is what bothered the South Portland
police and
not the Bin Laden costume.

Could have swore that all toy guns were to have an orange muzzle for
just this reason. If his did have an orange muzzle, a lawsuit is in
order.

My understanding was that all USians have the right to bear arms. The
Constitution doesn't say anything about the colour of the muzzle. Surely

he has a case anyway?

--->  Yes we do, but there is also the matter of "brandishing a
firearm".  Which is what this idiot was doing, even though it was fake.
There are robberies that take place often enough with toy guns that look
real, it's still "armed robbery" regardless if it was real or not.  Same
as brandishing a firearm.