funsec mailing list archives

Re: UK: Hacker Dodges Prison Term

From: "Alex Shipp \(elist\)" <elist-alex () starlabs net>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2006 16:31:42 -0000

I was an expert witness on this case. My guess (and its just a guess)
is that because the viruses he wrote had negligible impact they
were discounted in sentencing.

Certainly he created the viruses, but this is not a crime. Whether
he actually released them in any meaningful way is more debatable.

We never saw any copies of these viruses in the wild, ever.
Given the size of our catchment base, this either means:
    1) he never released them
    2) he released them in a tiny way, but the social engineering
       was crap,so no one ever propagated them
    3) he released them, but there was a bug which stopped replication
    4) something else

My money is on (1)

Alex