funsec mailing list archives

RE: German professor: Unluckiest Friday 13th since 1520

From: "David Harley" <david.a.harley () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2006 09:53:55 +0100

The world should really standardize of the 2006-10-13 format
so that dates are like times with the
units going from big to small.

There's certainly a case for standardization, but it depends on what you
intend to standardize. For times in English, we nowadays tend to say "ten
fifteen/thirty/forty-five" rather than "forty-five past ten" or even
"thirty-one minutes after ten", let alone quarter past/to etc., so how we
say it and how we write it has tended to converge. Though I still tend to
finish my working day at seven o'clock, not 19:00.

However, if you ask me for today's date in full, I'll say "the fourteenth of
October, 2006", not "2006, October 14th". I guess it depends on how far you
expect what you write to follow speech patterns and how much stress you lay
on data-processing convenience.

--
David Harley
Security Author & Consultant