funsec mailing list archives

Re: 'Bad Guys are Winning' Despite Fight Against Spam

From: Bruce Ediger <eballen1 () qwest net>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2006 10:15:48 -0700 (MST)

On Wed, 6 Dec 2006, Fergie wrote:

Via The International Herald Tribune.
Three years ago at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, Bill
Gates, the Microsoft chairman, made an audacious prediction: The problem of
unsolicited junk e-mail messages on the Internet would "be solved by 2006,"
he said.

I bet that Bill Gates, like most of us, held the belief that when Organized
Crime finally got its IT act together, the small-fry spammers would Get
Organized.  The Hard Way, with maybe a few double-wides getting burned down
Under Mysteriours Circumstances.

Unfortunately, Organized Crime, just like Organized Crime Fighers
don't seem to have the ability to get it together.

The FBI appears to constitute a pile of technoRubes:
http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/print/1455

I recall when the original FBI web page was hosted by a NASA computer.
That should have been a big giveaway.

The Mob doesn't appear to be much, if any, better:
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/11.12/mafia_pr.html

I wonder if there's any organizational similarities between the two that
make for this sort of situation.

I personally have long held the belief that only violence against spammers
will solve the spam problem.

--
Bruce Ediger
720-932-1954