funsec mailing list archives

Re: 'Bad Guys are Winning' Despite Fight Against Spam

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2006 12:16:38 -0600

On 12/8/06, Don Blumenthal <dmblumenthal () gmail com> wrote:
On 12/8/06, Brian Loe <knobdy () gmail com> wrote:
> On 12/8/06, Bruce Ediger <eballen1 () qwest net> wrote:
> => I personally have long held the belief that only violence against
spammers
> > will solve the spam problem.

> LOL, I love that idea!

Sorry about the inadvertent click on "Send."

It's been tried.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/07/26/russian_spammer_killed.
It doesn't look to me as if Russian spam volumes have gone down.

That's going to far though - and not a fair trial of the idea. You
don't teach a lesson to anyone by killing them. I mean, think about
it, you spend a couple hours beating the guy up and teaching him that
spam is bad and then you kill him. So the guy you invested all that
time in teaching is now dead and can't teach anyone else! Much more
likely to have been a rival spammer than a victim.